Reports To: Front of House Manager
Position Type: Part-Time Non-Exempt, Seasonal
Start Date: January 2020
The Broad Stage is currently seeking friendly, enthusiastic, and reliable individuals with highly effective communication skills to join our Front of House team. All applicants must be able to work a flexible "shift" schedule including nights, weekends, and some weekday student matinees.
Having the highest volume of interactions with the majority of our patrons, the Front of House team is a critical component to the success of all events at the Broad Stage. The Front of House department is responsible for the entire life cycle of each patron’s experience at the Broad Stage from pre-show to end-of-show. Front of House associates are an integral part of our unending mission to provide and ensure that all patrons of the Broad Stage are provided a theatre experience that is safe, inclusive, and memorably positive.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greet patrons as they arrive; collect and verify tickets; escort patrons to their seats; distribute programs
- Answer patron questions regarding events, the theater and the organization
- Assist patrons who require special accommodations by distributing large-print programs, assistive listening devices (ALDs), and/or assisting patrons with mobility impairments
- Resolve seating difficulties; respond to patron complaints
- Monitor patrons during performances and address issues of audience behavior, safety, and comfort as they arise; enforce house rules
- Tidy the theater and lobby before and after events, including moving/arranging lobby furniture
- Attend the Front of House meeting prior to each event
- Sell merchandise at select performances
- Participate in emergency evacuation of the theater, when necessary
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- Possess impeccable customer service and communication skills
- Ability to exercise tact and grace under pressure
- Ability to work both independently and while cooperating within a team
- Evening and weekend availability required
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required
- General knowledge of and/or interest in the performing arts highly preferred
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee must be able to stand for long periods of time. The employee may have to climb one or more flights of stairs, as well as move about on the upper levels of the theater. The employee is occasionally required to walk and sit.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include seeing in the dark with use of flashlight, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to noisy.
If interested, please apply by sending a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Please include “Usher” in the subject line.
The Broad Stage is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.